View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 smdm02 - "Jigoku" By Silicone_Milk [WITHDRAWN] 

Post smdm02 - "Jigoku" By Silicone_Milk [WITHDRAWN]
Yo.
I decided I should enter this competition and use it as motivation to actually get a map released for once ;)

I'm leanin' towards FFA in design but I might end up shifting it towards TDM. I haven't really decided yet.

All I know is, there's going to be lava, and there's going to be metal.

Name - Brandon "Silicone_Milk" Haston
Email's being pmed.

My server is also offline so no website :P

Last edited by silicone_milk on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 29, 2010 5:02 am

Post Re: smdm02 - "Jigoku" By Silicone_Milk
You should 100% release it even if it's a box! :D
Glad to see more q3w'ers

Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 am

The world has too many box maps as it is Kaz ;) I don't want to add to that problem.

I took some screenshots of some doodling I did last night. Focusing on making sure there's plenty of vertical gameplay with this one.

First post edited to show the screens.

Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Seeing cityy's alpha made me choose to change the theme of my map.

Decided to break away from the usual Q2-ish metal/lava theme I usually focus on and play around some. Also going to take this chance at making external .ase models for the competition which is something I've never done before.

Forgot to bring up the entity inspector to write in whisker on the first shot :oops:

I'm thinking about having these signs scattered around and maybe some billboards to hold the sponsor logos. We'll see...

Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm

I like the idea of those signs, Silicon_Milk.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Your Blender windows are the other way around to mine :) I'm that used to the UV window being on the left!

Mon May 31, 2010 11:14 pm

haha, mine is set up like GTKRadiant with the editing on the left and the "camera view" on the right. In this case, I was working on making sure the model was unwrapping correctly so it was the "camera view" or "result window".

I must say, I'm getting quite frustrated with trying to get a model in Q3. My UV coordinates aren't being saved correctly o_O

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 am

I've not had that trouble. I'm using Blender 2.49a and goofas 0.6.10 export script.
I set 'center objects' (each of my models has its own unique POO, this way I can arrange them in Blender how I want them in game), 'materials', 'face UV' and 'selection only' (again because I've built huge sections of my map inside Blender and I only want to export individual model sections at a time). The Goofas script, if you don't have it is on Kat's site.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:08 am

Actually...while I think about it...remember blender ase models and Q3 don't use submaterials properly. Just in case you didn't know how to set the export up...I'm sure you do, but just in case:
Each material assigned to the model must have a single texture applied to it. Assign the material then apply the texture (rather like wall paper paste and wall paper). With single texture models that's all you need do, with multi-material models you have to separate each section with a unique material (p-separate selection). In object mode, delete the unwanted materials from each subobject, so each only has a single material/texture, then select all the sections of the model and export as ase. That process is a pain, especially if you need to go back and edit the mesh. Experience has taught me to save a copy before separating the model out, to save time if I need to come back and adjust things. I forgot to do that for my big flag room terrain, which is using 3 materials, and it was a pain when I had to keep adjusting the UV.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 am

I went and gave it another shot with only 'materials', 'face uv', and 'selection only' selected (disabling the apply modifiers and vert colors) and it's in radiant and happy. UVs are correct. Interesting.

Thanks for the help Donkey. Stoked to have this sorted out.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 am

Finally came to a theme I feel I can pull off in the time limit. It's also something I've been wanting to do for years but never got around to doing it.

Doing a dark "urban" environment type of theme.

Doing some texture work while I doodle on some graph paper to revise my old layout.

It was surprisingly simple to pull the spray off the lighter wall now that I understand how to use the levels tool in photoshop :lol:

I still need to clean it up quite a bit and I have a ton of other images to work on.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 pm
Site Admin

Helloooo Nurse. I'm liking what I see so far.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm

shaders are making me feel retarded. I can't quite get the alpha working correctly without Q3 mangling the hell out of the texture applying white outlines, resizing the image, and/or giving it a washed out dark gray look.

I think I need to go through the shader manual again :P

Thanks Maverick :)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 am

lol :D copy and paste the image into the alpha channel

level it to an extreme threshold
either mostly white with grey light lines
or mostly black with grey dark lines
depending on the blend funk

colorize the alpha channel to the main color of the texture
or greyscale it depending on the type of alphablending effects which may multiply variably
:D

one of the shiny base textures modified
Code:
textures/xoxo/shinyalien
{   

{
                map textures/effects/tinfx.tga       
                tcGen environment
                rgbGen identity
   }   
        {
      map textures/xoxo/shinyalien.tga
                blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
      rgbGen identity
   }
        {
      map $lightmap
                blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ONE_MINUS_DST_ALPHA
      rgbGen identity
   }
}

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:59 am

I merely cloned the Blue color channel and renamed it as Alpha. Gave a nice, clean result.

It's dealing with the shader syntax that's throwing me off. I tried copying some simple grate textures but those are using all-or-nothing alpha tests while I have a grayscale alpha channel. I'm trying to get a "spray paint" type of effect going on but I'm just getting what looks like really bad 1999 era decal attempts.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next