View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 phantq3dm5 by Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman 

Post Re: phantq3dm5 by Tom 'Phantazm11' Perryman
certainly an improvement. the layout feels less crammed now. however i still i have a big problem with this map and that is the locations of the major items. the Quad and the RA seem to be just stuck in the corners of two rooms which otherwise have a lot of interesting stuff going on. i think these places have more potential. the MH is slightly better, at least it is involved in the main paths of the room it is in.

the other thing that is really not working for me is the water. i know the railgun in water thing has been successful in other maps but i can't see anyone wanting to dive deep in a map that is fairly small and well connected like this one. if you really want to keep it, maybe you should switch the rail with the Quad or something else more rewarding?

not much to complain about other than that. i love the curved staircases and the scale is perfect. i'm sure it will look beautiful when you are done with it.

-pat

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

This map, although targeted at TDM and FFA, lacks many of the distinguishing qualities of those gametypes. The scale, layout, and flow of the map suggests to me that this map should be a tourney map instead. Nevertheless, if you wish to continue building a TDM/FFA map, I have several recommendations:

i) The map seems a bit cramped, in my opinion. This is mostly due to the amount and scale of the hallways and the numerous instances of stairs and jump pads.

ii) The map's flow is interrupted on several fronts. The stairs are really interesting in some areas but are also really intrusive on movement, lines of sight, and aesthetic. I will also make some suggestions below that seem to remedy flow problems.

iii) The layout is in need of major work. The items seem to be scattered haphazardly. I am a firm believer that the map must "house" or "accommodate" the items -- not that items should be placed wherever there is space. The Mega Health seems to be the best placed item in the map.

I will now make some suggestions to give you an alternative perspective on your map. Naturally (and as always), I do not expect you to implement the majority of my suggestions. Instead, I want you to think about why I am suggesting these things. Indeed, you may not implement any of my suggestions so long as you can remedy the problems that I've encountered. For this reason, I try to err on the side of extremity rather than conservativeness.

I've tentatively separated these suggestions into "minor" and "major" groups.

Minor Suggestions:

1) In several areas, you have groups of +5 Health Bubbles coupled with +5 Armor Shards. I very much support the administration of groups of each of these items separately. For this reason, I recommend changing the the mixtures of +5 Health Bubbles and +5 Armor Shards to conform only to one of those options (typically to +5 Armor Shards since we don't technically have access to +25 Green Armor). This is a small point.

2) This area suffers from the same criticism as featured in (1). Likewise, the Railgun Ammo seems to be a small reward for such risk. It would be easy to get trapped in this area (or at least take spam damage), so players likely will not try to get this ammo. I would recommend placing a weapon there. The shotgun might fit nicely.

3) I recommend moving the pillar down to allow more space for the Plasma Gun as well as any player walking along that curve.

4) I am definitely not a fan of extensive use of water. As the map currently stands, the Railgun is not a good enough reason to have large amounts of water in two separate rooms. Something should be done to add more incentive for going down there. A +50 Health Bubble and more armor shards within the connection between the Railgun room and the room with Lightning Gun Ammo (shown below). In the image I suggested that you build a wall to separate the rooms. In this build, there is little reason why they should be connected. If you decide to separate them, I would put more +5 Armor Shards in the Lightning Gun Ammo room.

5) This area seems to be weighted a bit heavily. The Rocket Launcher appears to be in a nice spot, but the Red Armor is a bit overkill for such a small area. I recommend either changing the Red Armor to a Yellow Armor or adding another Rocket Launcher somewhere in the map--the latter suggestion to be taken with more weight than the former. Replacing the Railgun Ammo with the Lightning Gun and then replacing the Lightning Gun with a second Rocket Launcher may work.

6) Having two jump pads so close together is obtrusive to gameplay. I recommend getting rid of the top one (crossed out in purple) and replacing it either with a teleporter or some other tool by which a player can reach the top.

Major Suggestions:

1) This area adds way too many stairs. The height difference is, generally speaking, negligible since the hallway just leads to more stairs down onto the Plasma Gun curve. I am suggesting a radical removal of this entire structure. Close up that hallway (leaving the Plasma Gun curve leading only to one hallway rather than two) and remove the stairs (and make the appropriate changes to spacing by moving the walls, of course. Then, you can connect the area where the stairs were to the platform that leads to the upper Yellow Armor (building a walkway all the way across to the wall. This will make this area more accessible and vary the height more evenly. In doing this, I recommend making the the area between the pillar by the Plasma Gun and the platform that leads to the upper Yellow Armor curve similarly to the curve upon which the Plasma gun is placed.

2) This area is a bit awkward. First, the hallway at the top is completely superfluous. I highly recommend removing it and making the lower hallway more accessible with better design. Second, the jump pad doesn't seem to be the best way for a player to get to the middle level. I recommend removing the jump pad and placing a tele-in (green arrow) there. Then, build a small platform that extends to the wall above the hallway on the bottom left (thus concealing the ugly difference between the height of the Lightning Gun platform and the opening that leads into the curved staircase room). Then, build the tele-out (green arrow) on top of that platform facing away from the wall and toward the Lightning Gun.

3) Though it may not be feasible, this area is just asking for an opening (in purple) into which a player can jump (following the path in green). This would give the room more purpose as well as possibly connect this room with the room with the curved staircase. Regardless, something has to define the upper level more and give players a reason to jump onto that pillar.

Well, that's all I have right now for suggestions (not that this list is exhaustive of what problems this current alpha build contains). I think you have a good start, but this map needs some problems ironed out. I will surely look at your future builds to give more feedback.

Until then, good luck! And let me know if you have any questions.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:
[14:12] <@Maverick|MSG> I had to mix the meat by hand

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 am

It also appears that cityy and I still have conflicting tastes in layouts. :D

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 am

back again just to say that i agree with Anthem's first point. you would be better off turning this map into a tourney. not only would the layout make more sense, but you would also have a better chance of winning, because, if you haven't noticed, it is always the competitive 4vs4 CTFs and tourneys that win these things.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 am
Profile WWW

I disagree with turning the map into a 1on1 level. Should rather spend the time on scaling up some areas; surely less work.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:27 am
Profile WWW

cityy wrote:
I disagree with turning the map into a 1on1 level. Should rather spend the time on scaling up some areas; surely less work.

I agree. I never mentioned actually turning it into a tourney map--only that it seems to be more of a tourney map at this point.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. Not sure what I'll do with it at this point. Also something has come up and I'm pretty sure I won't have time to do much more with it, but we'll see.

Attachment:
secret_word_week_3.jpg
secret_word_week_3.jpg [ 332.37 KiB | Viewed 19485 times ]

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Had a bit of time after all this weekend so I threw together another alpha. Now it is time to go finish mowing the grass.

Aplha 3

Attachment:
secret_word_week_4.jpg
secret_word_week_4.jpg [ 343.29 KiB | Viewed 19463 times ]

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:20 pm

looking good! i don't miss the water one bit. maybe bring up the platform the PG is on a bit and connect it to the level next to it. you don't want too many extra jumps just for getting around.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm
Profile WWW

The changes definitely help a bit. I still can't help but feel like it's a tourney map, though! It lacks the same openness that is present within maps such as q3dm14.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quote:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 pm

WIP

Attachment:
TEST_02.jpg
TEST_02.jpg [ 292.17 KiB | Viewed 19302 times ]
Attachment:
secret_word_week_5.jpg
secret_word_week_5.jpg [ 365.41 KiB | Viewed 19302 times ]

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm

the contrast of the gritty metal textures and the pure blue sky is really nice :)

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Pat. It is coming along slowly but surely. :)

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 am

I like how it is starting to develop as well. Very different from what I originally imagined though, but certainly not in a bad way. Reminds me of Substation 11 in certain aspects, but with better texturing.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 am

Colors looks nice and the textures seems to fit one another very well. I wanna see a screenshot of a bigger area.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next