View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 dk_msg4 Andy 'dONKEY' Dunn 

Post Re: dk_msg4 Andy 'dONKEY' Dunn
Word of the week 6 :

on a side note....woot 13,000 plus brushes :)

Geometry all done, detailing more or less done.

Clip/collision done.

One model to re-make and tweak shader.

One model texture still to finish.

Lighting...maybe take a complete re-look.

Vis optimisation and hinting still do do.

Game elements (items blah blah) still to do.

One more sound pass to complete. Maybe write some ambient music if I get time...

In game shot for this week, not had too much time to map, but finally got my teleporter mesh set up. I had the idea for the power stations turbines being used to power up a teleporter.
The textures on the turbines are only half done. I have a lot of highlighting and surface detail to still paint. The centre of the turbines spin :)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 am

Hit a snag with my map.
I have suddenly caused a z-malloc error.
I haven't change my hunkmegs (set to 1024), but all of a sudden the level refuses to load and crashes Q3.
I'm guessing it's a texture/lightmap or even model related issue, or a combination.
I can still run the fully compiled map in ioquake3, but can't run in baseq3 if I compile light.
It's a damn annoying state as for the life of me I don't know what I've changed to cause this.
I have two or three gameplay tweaks to make still and have now run into this wall.
On the plus side, I discovered when I played in ioquake3, bots navigate the level much better than I hoped (or feared) they would.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:40 am

sucks to hear man :(
This is probably something you already know but just in case, if you have a texture that is higher then 1024x1024 quake3 will crash with the z-malloc error.

I'll hope you manage to fix it. I'm looking forward to try this map

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:36 pm

I *think* the culprit was bspc.exe.
After a full compile with no aas, the map works.
I looked at the original aas, hadn't noticed but it was 5mb! No idea what went wrong, the level is fully bot optimised. Will try to compile aas again, maybe using the newer bspc.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 am

Maybe it works even better with a separate bot map? but I guess you know this already =)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Had the 'flu for a week...will post word of the week when I've actually opened the editor...:(

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 am

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you're feeling better! Latest shots were looking splendid.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:45 am

Not done a great deal since I got sick. Secret words:

Run into a couple of annoying bugs. For some reason radiant reset the patch subdivisions in half my patches, and on top of that I began to experience some of the decals not being lit at all. Not sure if this is a bug caused by the decals being over a brush with external lightmaps.

On top of this, I realised with bots in the map I had exceeded max entity limits, so various func_static models began to just vanish.

Then to top it all I now realise if I want the map to play in Vq3 without a lot of messing with the config I am going to have to make a bot navigation map.

Should have time, but all this stuff is most annoying.

Still, the map is done in terms of geometry/gameplay/lighting/ambient details. I have maybe some hinting to do and the sponsor images to add.

I've only ever used a separate bot map once (for Angkor The Flag), does anyone know, if I create clusterportals in a the bot map that don't exist in the actual map, does that cause any issues?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:51 am

Made a crappy short video...gives an idea what my level is about:
HERE

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 am

So I've got as far as I can I think...no more time :)
Word of the week:

And a final screenshot for the level:

And it just leaves me to give a download link for what will have to be my final build:
//edit...link to this version removed

Some quick notes (that are included in the readme file):
I had to construct a bot navigation map as all the little details in the 'real' map meant the level killed Q3. The bots play actually pretty well and use most of the level, including a lot of the shortcuts I built in. There still remain memory issues though. The map loads fine from the skirmish menu in IOquake3 but will not load with bots selected under VQ3 (unless anybody can tell me what config I need to set), once the level is loaded bots can be added via the ingame menu.

GL and have fun

Last edited by dONKEY on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:55 am

Nice work, plenty of detail in there :)

I know you've said this is probably the final build, but I thought I'd highlight some
of the more important issues as I see them. Just incase you have time to fix them.
It would help the map a lot I think.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks man.
I really like the split jump pad idea, guess I still have some stuff to do.
On the lighting, I thought I had brightened things up enough, I guess not. It's really hard only working on a laptop. For me the map is almost too bright already, I really find it hard to judge how bright I need to make things for other displays.
On the graphically issues, that was a serious WTF moment for me!!!! I would never release a map with shader problems...and for the life of me I can't see those issues (as you can tell by my screen shots). Even in vertex mode (apart from the skybox not working as it appears in lightmapped mode) I can not reproduce what you have there. What are your game settings? Could this be a video card/driver issue? I'm quite lost here...the ripples are a shader copied from Noruen's map, and the waterfall and sprites taken from rota, I haven't altered the shader at all, apart from editing paths, and I've never had reports of such errors. The water is the same shader I used in my 20 brush map and the same script used by ydnar in his 1337 test map. I really have no idea what gives!! Does it look this way for anybody else?
The water is murky brown, not clear, the water fall isn't clear. The water doesn't do any of the stuff it is doing for you with me....I really am not sure what to do now :(
Apart from the apparent shader bugs, the light, jump pad, clipping and flag platform tweaks are quickly and easy enough to fix.
Thanks again....hope this can be solved in time.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:33 am

donkey: great map! Maybe try to connect your laptop to a tv screen?
akm: Maybe you have some console output regarding shaders? Old verions of the map?

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 am

Ok, it's my fault :/

I was testing in Wolfcam, which I assumed was pretty much Q3 but with support
for QL features for movie makers. It doesn't seem to like your shaders though :)

The shader problems are gone when I test in Q3, sorry about that :)
Still, I suppose the brightness issue could be my monitor, I use gamma 1,
does anyone else think it's a bit dark in some areas?

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am

Laptop to TV, there's an idea....

Phew akm, I was damn worried!!!!!! Assuming I find a couple of hours in the next few days I will play with lighting, the little clip issue on that arch, the jump pad (that idea I like a lot), some colour coding on the out side of the bases and maybe add another plank over the reactor pits so it's not possible to fall in.

Feeling much happier :))

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next