View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Aquamarine by Ricardo "EmeraldTiger" Stevenson 

Post Aquamarine by Ricardo "EmeraldTiger" Stevenson
Map Name: Aquamarine (pasdm2)

Participant Name: Ricardo "EmeraldTiger" Stevenson

E-Mail: Patrick77000 (at) gmail (dot) com

Gametype: FFA and 4v4 Team Deathmatch

Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Post Re: Aquamarine by Ricardo "EmeraldTiger" Stevenson
I quickly changed the gametype to 4v4 TDM and FFA from Duel / 2v2 if that is alright, as I'm expecting it will be pretty open and whatnot.

Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 am

aquamarine sounds epic already bro! it's both a color and gives the impression of being like a place where you could keep fish and dolphins and crabs etc... looking forward to it.

Sat May 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks! I'm still stuck on inspiration for layouts though. Been looking at single player Q2 maps to help kick my creativity and get some general layout ideas without doing straight copying. Might get some inspiration from James Cameron's Avatar for the theme, probably have a tropical island setting with lots of giant waterfalls, mostly indoors but with a few outdoor areas.

Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Good luck for this. I hope you can model, because otherwise it will be hard to achieve natural terrain.

Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm sorry to say, but it seems like I won't be participating after all. After a long trial of thinking, I decided I'd like to pursue some other projects in other games on my own time. It was a decision I made quite a while after the competition announcement, so I didn't take it lightly, but I personally feel quite comfortable with the path I'm taking, for various reasons. Not because I don't like this game, it's definitely one of the best ever made - but I had the feeling that I should move on. Who knows, maybe I might do a few more Q3 maps. Though, they probably won't be in competitions. After the last competition, I can safely say that I prefer mapping on my own time to competition restrictions. :p

Hopefully this doesn't come as too much of a disappointment. And I'll still keep an eye on this competition for the other maps. I'm looking forward to what the seasoned mappers have in store for the community. Thanks for your understanding, and good luck competitors.

Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Hehe, I will tell you that you will come back :D
I wanted to drop out, too, some day in the last comps and I said to myself... naaaa.
Nevertheless, keep us updated over at q3w about the maps you want to do now.
Regarding q3, there is smth coming up from my side, also including your map =)

Thu May 31, 2012 4:44 pm

Aye, looking forward to your project. :)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 am

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be participating in the competition. Your theme sounded pretty cool and I was really looking forward to seeing what you came up with.

I certainly understand that mapping in your own time, on your own terms is a very attractive idea, and it really is the most enjoyable way to involve yourself in the creative process. That being said, if you aspire to becoming a designer for any major company, you must realize that working under a deadline is a major part of the job. Mapping in these or any other competitions with a strict set of rules and stringent time restraints help ready you for any deadlines or milestones that you would encounter in the future. If you can work under the pressure of a contest deadline, it shows that you work hard, can finish projects in a specified time frame and have the drive it takes to work in the industry.

Whatever game you decide to map for, don't be a stranger. As Bliccer suggested, keep us updated over at Q3W.

...and definitely Keep Mapping!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:00 am

tbh phant, those things you mentioned are exactly why i dont wanna get a job in the industry. it seems to be more about sweat shop style dev... working in a grind is bad for humans and creativity. totally unattractive to me... indy development seems to be the way to go imo..

i was hoping this was gonna be a tf2 mapping contest as sadly i think the only ppl following this are the contestants.. but gl to you all. i would join but im playing eve lol

any idea what engine you might move on to et? keep us posted :D

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:08 am

ffs, how can you do that? =(

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]