View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 pk3 and map naming 
Site Admin

Post pk3 and map naming
I've been asked to make a post requesting everyone adhere to the Q3 standard of pk3 and map naming, particularly:

{mapper}{gametype}{map_number}

Like:
ct3dm5 (by cityy)
zxydm2 (by ZXY)

The map name and the pk3 names should match, but you can add a "map_" prefix to the pk3 name so it is easily classified. If you'd like to add a version number suffix onto the pk3 filename please do if it helps you to organize things.

I hope it isn't too much trouble for you guys to make this change. This will make it a lot easier for the guys at QuakeCon, who may or may not be familiar with Q3, as well as those downloading the map pack, to call up the maps. Thanks.

Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Post Re: pk3 and map naming
Make sticky, sir. =)

Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Done.

Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

I like to name the bsp zxydm2, and the pk3 map_zxydm2_001. the last tree digits are the version number. Makes it easier if you have a bunch of versions, and the map prefix lets everyone know its a map.

Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm
Site Admin

That makes sense, I'll go ahead and edit my original post.

Tue May 25, 2010 8:48 pm

I would like to use for map the name bata3dm1.
Or necessarily to use nick?

Wed May 26, 2010 12:07 pm
Site Admin

That's fine nPOBoKaTOP, thanks for asking

Wed May 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Maybe it's a bit too late to enter this disc, but wouldn't it be a good idea if all levels started with mavcomp2_ or something?

like mcmp2_nick_levelname

Then all levels will be "tagged" as with coming from this competition and what run of it.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 pm

hipshot wrote:
Maybe it's a bit too late to enter this disc, but wouldn't it be a good idea if all levels started with mavcomp2_ or something?

Then all levels will be "tagged" as with coming from this competition and what run of it.

This only helps YOU, if you have a lot of pk3s already and you'd like to keep a little organization going.

Otherwise, I would treat these pk3s like another other regular pk3s.

Now, if the intention is to re-release the map as a non-competition branded map, then I guess we should follow a naming scheme of mcmp2_blah, where this leaves room for the option to re-release the same map under an un-branded name of map_blah. However, I wasn't sure if that was against some type of ethical rule; I thought that if you make a map for a competition, then it belongs to that competition, or it should only be branded by that competition.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 pm

deqer wrote:
hipshot wrote:

This only helps YOU, if you have a lot of pk3s already and you'd like to keep a little organization going.

Otherwise, I would treat these pk3s like another other regular pk3s.

Now, if the intention is to re-release the map as a non-competition branded map, then I guess we should follow a naming scheme of mcmp2_blah, where this leaves room for the option to re-release the same map under an un-branded name of map_blah. However, I wasn't sure if that was against some type of ethical rule; I thought that if you make a map for a competition, then it belongs to that competition, or it should only be branded by that competition.

Actually, I don't have many pk3s at all =)
Even if you have or don't have many pk3s, it's a good way to bunch the levels together under the same umbrella. It also gives the competition a greater recognition, seeing how all these levels should be submited to lvl eventually(?) and also spread around the net.

I don't think every pk3 should be treated as other regular pk3s, I think all the levels are more or less in a "pack" when they are here, even if they are distributed as stand alone.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 am
Site Admin

This might be a good idea for next competition. I guess I'd feel a little bad forcing everyone to change the name of their map at this stage in the game.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]