View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Required: Posting your progress 
Site Admin

Post Required: Posting your progress
Well the competition has officially started! In order to keep things on the up-and-up and to make sure everyone is starting their map from scratch, all competitors are required to post weekly screenshots from their editor to show mapping progress. To make sure those screenshots are being done systematically, every week I'll be posting a "secret word" which must be included on that week's screenshot. Simply make an item in radiant such that the secret word is shown in the screenshot (this should only take a few seconds); if you'd rather download an image for placement into the editor then you can save the linked one below. The word must be part of the map, not pasted onto your screenshot or written in. Remember, you must post at least one screenshot per week you are in the competition. If you start mapping on week 4 then your first screenshot must show that week's word. Naturally the progression of screenshots should go from almost a blank editor window to something incredibly complex.

Here are the week's secret words:
Week 1 (May 25-May 31): whisker
Week 2 (June 1-June 7): radeon
Week 3 (June 8-June 14): ballistix
Week 4 (June 15-June 21): eyefinity
Week 5 (June 22-June 28): terragen
Week 6 (June 29-July 5): haircut
Week 7 (July 6-July 12): 3dsmax
Week 8 (July 13-July 19): phenom
Week 9 (July 20-July 26): msg flavor
Week 10 (July 27-Aug 3: ubermapper

Tue May 25, 2010 2:10 am

Post Re: Required: Posting your progress
Don't get what you mean with model...

Do you mean that we should build a model that would have the same name as the secret word, or that we should build the secret word as a model or that we should build a model which is what the secret word means???

THX

Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 pm
Site Admin

Both Cityy and Delirium posted some great exmaples of how they accomplished it. I've linked to them below:

Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm

What I made is:

I opened GIMP and created a new image. Then I used the text tool to write the word and saved the image in my textures folder (after adjusting the size). In the end I opened radiant, created a simple brush and textured 1 side of it with the secret word texture.

This should be the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile WWW

I just did classname whisker. Easier, and faster, but not as good.

Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm
Site Admin

That works as well, just as long as you have that word inside of the editor window.

Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Ok, got it simply put the word into the map wayne with which method...

First screens will come later this evening

Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 pm
Site Admin

If anyone else has any issues directly relating to getting the secret word into your map, please post here. I'm trimming posts in an effort to keep this thread strictly on topic. If anyone has any other concerns PM me directly.

Tue May 25, 2010 6:04 pm

What prevents someone from having a 'dummy' map file they are posting screen shots from?

Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 pm
Site Admin

The methodology is obviously flawed (as was discussed about a month ago in the irc chat), but the point is to encourage people to do the right thing and make it more difficult for those who don't. Regardless, everyone has 10 weeks which I'd like to think is more than enough time to start and finish a map.

Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 am

I was thinking about joining this competition, having regained some spare time and interest in mapping, but with these rules I can't see myself being able to finish.
Mandatory new screens every week is most likely something im not being able to produce because I simply don't have the time. I might do alot one week, then do shit for the next 4, and wrap it up the following month.
I'm sorry, but this just sounds stupid.

Sun May 30, 2010 10:37 pm
Site Admin

Fjoggs, the point of posting progress serves a number of purposes:

1) The sponsors like to see that their time and effort in supporting and sponsoring the competition is well worth it. More posts leads to more views, which leads to more people being excited about the competition, non-competitors included, which naturally leads to their sponsorship and links seeing more face time and getting them a better return-on-investment. They have gone out of their way to support (very well, I might add) this activity, so a small post of a screenshot seems like a very easy way to fulfill our part of the bargain, right? This is a huge point, so please try to understand this; they have donated prizes in exchange for marketing, so if we aren't going out of our way then why would they want to sponsor?

2) Posting screenshots gives everyone a chance to see how everyone else's map is developing and offer comments (whether or not you want to read them or take their advice is your perrogative). It also forms a nucleus here, where the competition is located, for people to organize around.

3) A complaint about the previous competition was that some people never showed their progress but turned in maps regardless. Other competitors felt this was not fair since anyone could just come in with a map that was designed prior to the competition and submit it as new.

Whether or not you see the value in the above is up to you, and whether or not forcing people to post solves any problem I've spoken about isn't really the point here. I would however, like to think that any kind of inconvenience the "one screenshot a week" rule is causing you is far outweighed by any benefits you'll obtain from this competition.

I do hope you enter the competition as I'd hate to see something this insignificant stand in the way of your mapping.

If you do decide to enter the competition you can minimize the number of screenshots you have to post by not starting on your map until the registration deadline, which is June 21st. I've also enabled image uploading on the forums so the images can be hosted here rather than forcing you to use an external image hosting service. Posting a screenshot should be as simple as getting the screenshot, clicking "reply" to your post, and uploading the screenshot to the post.

Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 am

You could just be very conservative with the actual areas that you show off in the map, and use the unexposed areas as a "new area screenshot buffer" during the times you aren't actively adding to the map.

ps you better enter

Mon May 31, 2010 2:35 am

I don't know what skinmaster is talking about, and he should slow down on the mushrooms.
I wasn't trying to be rude against you(@Maverick) in any way, and if you took it personally then im sorry.

Quote:
3) A complaint about the previous competition was that some people never showed their progress but turned in maps regardless. Other competitors felt this was not fair since anyone could just come in with a map that was designed prior to the competition and submit it as new.

I don't see how this will solve this problem seeing how I could easily just add the "secret" word to an already existing mapfile. When I first get hooked on mapping I can map a huge amount in a short period of time, and I finished pretty much 90% of my previous map in the first week.

Anyway, whether or not I agree to these rules I'll try my best to go by them. It just feels harsh to be removed from the competition in the last month, because you didn't have time to produce something new that one week.

Mon May 31, 2010 10:27 am
Site Admin

I didn't take your comments as rude, but I do feel that it is important to realize why the rule is there and that I've tried to make it simple to comply with. Sorry about the big reply there, I just wanted to clarify there this isn't a simple issue and I've got all the sponsors who I need to report back to when things finish. I guess I got a little carried away, heh.

One alternative to posting the secret word would be that I give everyone a pre-generated mapfile with some room in it and have everyone build their maps around that. I wasn't really excited about this approach though. The secret word approach, while flawed, seemed like an easy way to 1) at least make it more difficult on someone trying to cheat and 2) a simple way to get people to post screenshots. Alternatives were discussed in the IRC channel a while before the competition started. Any kind of anti-cheat process we go through is going to cause any legit mapper some inconvenience. I'd rather land on the side of the smallest inconvenience, at the risk of possibly letting someone with bad intentions in. It is a tradeoff in the end.

Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]